Your membership helps strengthen our union by showing your dedication to the pursuit of quality education. We at PSU-AAUP are committed to excellence in the workplace because we know that faculty working conditions are student learning conditions. Your pledge of membership proves your investment in the quality of Portland State University.
In addition to the support you contribute to yourself and your colleagues with your membership, you are also entitled to numerous benefits, such as a variety of optional insurance plans, merchant discounts, regalia reimbursement, and much more. Please refer to the Member Benefits section below for details on the benefits of membership.
We need your support! By filling out a membership application:
- you are helping AAUP lobby at the state and national level to ensure that there is money available. The more members we have, the stronger our voice in Salem and in Washington, DC
- you are helping fight attacks on tenure and academic freedom at the national level
- you can vote on contract ratification or on other important union issues
- The more support we have from full members, the stronger our position at the bargaining table!
There is no additional cost to becoming a member!
Download the application form now, and send it to us via campus mail at AAUP, or drop it by our office at the Smith Memorial Student Union building, Room 232.
If you have any questions about membership, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com, or by calling us at (503) 725-4414.
Membership Benefits are eligible to all full members. If you are unsure whether you are a full member, please see the Membership Status section below
- PSU-AAUP Membership Benefits
- The right to vote on important chapter decisions and run for PSU-AAUP office
- Eligibility to serve on the PSU-AAUP Collective Bargaining team
- Eligibility to serve on other PSU-AAUP Committees
- Membership in the National AAUP and the Oregon Conference of the AAUP. The National AAUP and the Oregon Conference of the AAUP protects the rights of all faculty on the state and national level.
Regalia Reimbursement. Reimbursement of rental cost for June Commencement rental. You must present invoice for rental to the PSU-AAUP office. The reimbursement request is due by December 15 of the year of your rental.
*We are unable to process requests from previous years.
There are many additional benefits of membership offered through National. For more detailed information on National AAUP Membership Benefits, please visit the National AAUP website.
We are an agency fee campus. This means that all faculty members must become a member of the Association, or pay service fees (fair share fees) to the Association for the services we provide in collectively bargaining and enforcing the contract.
You are not automatically a member when you commence employment at Portland State University. You are a Fair Share Fee Payer until and unless you fill out and send in a membership application.
To become a member, you must fill out a membership application and send it to PSU-AAUP at Smith 232.
You need to fill out a membership application only once, and your membership continues from one academic year to the next.
If you do not fill out an application, then you will pay fair share fees to PSU-AAUP. Fair Share fees are the per cap “fair share” costs of collectively bargaining and enforcing the contract.
Member Dues and Fair Share fees are both automatically deducted from your paycheck. Your pay stub will indicate whether you are a member or a Fair Share Fee Payer.
- Fair Share Fee deductions from paychecks are indicated “AAUP Union Fair Share Deduction.”
- Members Dues deductions from paychecks are indicated “AAUP Union Membership Dues.”
The deduction for Member Dues and Fair Share Fees is the same (effective October 1, 2010)
Each year PSU-AAUP sends a legal notice, known as a Hudson notice, to all Fair Share Fee payers via US Mail to their home address of record regarding their legal rights as Fair Share Fee Payers. Information about that notice, and the Association Procedure regarding our compliance with the requirements of Hudson, can be found at http://www.psuaaup.net/resources/association-policy#hudson. The Hudson notice is sent out on or about November 20 of each year after the Association receives its first complete list of Fair Share Fee Payers on or about November 10 from the October 25th paycheck, the first complete payroll run of the academic year.