Our current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) with Portland State expires in November of this year and our union has been preparing for many months to negotiate a new contract that makes PSU “A Public University Where People Matter," which is the slogan of our new contract campaign poster.
To use our next “Contract” to shape PSU according to your values, needs, and our ethical sense of priorities, your Collective Bargaining Team conducted over 70 focus groups and a follow-up online survey. After analyzing what you shared with us, we found that your priorities fall into five general areas, also communicated in the new contract campaign posters. We seek to shape a university with the following attributes:
- Fairness, equity, and career pathways
- Budget priorities that are student-centered
- A place to work that is life-affirming
- Hidden workload expectations brought out, minimized, rewarded
- An administration that is accountable and transparent
Your bargaining team is as strong a bargaining team as one could dream! But a bargaining team is only as strong as our union’s — your — determination and will.
PSU-AAUP members and colleagues; in order to win the contract we want, over the next 12 months we need you to stay tuned to bargaining, and to come out and show support for your bargaining team.
This summer, come show support for your team, wearing a PSU-AAUP t-shirt:
- July 10, meet at RMNC 654, 11 am, for an early lunch RSVP
- July 22, mark your calendar, 11 am for an early lunch, location TBA
- August 26, mark your calendar, 11 am for an early lunch, location TBA
- August 27, mark your calendar, 11 am for an early lunch, location TBA
- September 9, mark your calendar, 11 am for an early lunch, location TBA
- September 10, mark your calendar, 11 am for an early lunch, location TBA
Bargaining takes place from 8:30am-4pm on the scheduled days. We are asking you to arrive between 11am-12pm, and we will have a light lunch available. At noon, the bargaining team will take a lunch break to meet with members and give you an update. If you are unable to come at 11:00, please do drop in at any other point during the day. Feel free to bring your work to these sessions or a book to read.
Your PSU-AAUP at the bargaining table is:
David Hansen (School of Business, NTT faculty, Vice-President for Collective Bargaining), Theresa McCormick (Chemistry, TT faculty), Shalini Vivek (Academic Professional, staff attorney, Student Legal Services), Leanne Serbulo (CUPA/University Studies, NTT faculty, immediate past VP Collective Bargaining), Mark Leymon (Criminology and Criminal Justice, TT faculty), Anh Ly (Economics, Academic Professional), Tina Burdsall (Sociology/Honors, NTT faculty), José Padín (Sociology, TT faculty, PSU AAUP President), Phil Lesch (Executive Director/PSU-AAUP staff, ex-officio member).