About PSU-AAUP Associate Membership
Associate Membership is a class of membership designed for Portland State employees that are not in the PSU-AAUP bargaining unit. It is voluntary. We have an Associate membership roster of approximately 60 managers. Approximately half of the department chairs at the University remain Associate members, as do a handful of Associate Deans.
Though Associate membership is non-voting membership, there are significant benefits to Associate membership:
- Associate members get emails from us. We have an associate member email database and we keep associate members in the loop about issues impacting faculty at PSU in relationsip with management and in state issues.
- Associate members can get regalia re-imbursement like regular members up to $58/year.
- Associate members as a group freely use the Executive Director as a resource in their relationship with management as a manager, and in brainstorming strategies to problems from the basis of being an enlightened, employee oriented manager.
- AAUP members consult with Associate members to get a management perspective on faculty issues.
- Associate members can deduct member dues as a tax deduction.
- Associate members have the undying gratitude of AAUP members for standing in solidarity with them on issues that affect their employment, and quality higher education as an investment in oregon’s future
- When the Executive Director has an opportunity to recommend managers to important committees ( he will frequently frequently make suggestions about the management bargaining team and other committees where AAUP and management interface), he will suggest Associate members first (if they are interested in being appointed)
Associate membership dues are the same as regular membership. They are currently 1.107% of monthly salary.
We hope you will consider remaining an Associate member during your time away from the AAUP bargaining unit. If you have any questions about Associate Membership, contact Phil Lesch.